Wednesday, February 18, 2015

tomato balsamic sauce

This is without a doubt, my latest obsession especially since I ate it for two weeks straight (nope-not lying!).  This sauce is perfection; it tastes sweet and tangy with some smokier flavors from the caramelized onions and balsamic.  I made this by complete accident, and I couldn't be happier! 

 {I made a batch of the sauce and kept it in the fridge for quick lunches and side dishes}

{Sauce mixed with quinoa (left) and pasta (right)}

one year ago:  salmon patties
two years ago:  clam chowder

tomato balsamic sauce

makes 2 cups

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced 
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dried basil
2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes, drained 
Torn fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, optional
  1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil; swirl to coat. 
  2. Add onion and sear until well caramelized.
  3. Add garlic, balsamic vinegar, basil, and tomatoes.
  4. Simmer sauce for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
  5. Serve over grilled chicken, grilled steak, baked salmon, or grains.
I ate it on EVERYTHING.  I wasn't a fan of it on pork, but chicken, steak, and salmon were delicious.  I added it to quinoa and pasta.  I didn't try it with rice, but I'm positive it would be delicious. 

Why did I eat it so much?  I had to make sure it was really as good as I thought ;o)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly