Thursday, June 28, 2012

Quark (Savory Yogurt Sauce)

*Pronounced ca(short a)-va(long a)-ck (hard k) in German*

I love this sauce! It is savory from the herbs but lighter than butter, cream or mayonnaise sauces. Traditionally, Germans make this for the summer; they boil/steam potatoes and serve the hot potatoes with this over it (think like sour cream).  This yogurt sauce is perfect on just about everything; I am experimenting by putting it on different items and using it in different ways. :o) 

In the summer, no one wants to eat anything too heavy!  Plus, yogurt has all those good health benefits (gut bacteria and calcium)!!!  I make this with fresh herbs from my garden, and I cannot keep this in my house!


Quark

Serves 8-12 (depending on the use)

32 oz plain Greek yogurt (can use low-fat or non-fat, but I usually use the full fat)
1 cup green onions, chopped (1/2 cup dried chives)
1 cup parsley, chopped (1/2 cup dried parsley)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

  1. Mix ingredients together.
  2. Adjust seasonings (amounts were guidelines).
  3. Chill at least one hour if not overnight before serving.



Experiments:

>Sauteed onions, spinach, and mushrooms together while baking some fish with salt and pepper.  Assembly: spinach mixture on the bottom, fish on top, and a healthy dollop of quark on top of the fish.  Verdict: DELICIOUS!!!!


>As a spread. YUMMY!!!  *Note: Ben ate all of it before I remember to get a picture!  Just spread some on bread or crackers as a light snack!*

>With gravlax (cold smoked salmon) and the spinach mushroom mixture (what can I say? I love it!).  FABULOUS!!!



>Mix with COLD potatoes for a new twist on potato salad!  FANTASTIC!!!


What is your go-to summer dish?  
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly