Monday, June 11, 2012

(Soon-to-be Famous) Black Bean Brownies

Yes you read that right!  BLACK BEAN BROWNIES!  They are supremely delicious!  I have yet to meet one person who thinks these are god-awful!  Almost everyone loves them immediately, and a few say they are 'good but different' and reach for another.

Not only are these brownies HEALTHY, but they are EASY!  Everything goes into a food processor then poured into a pan.  How much easier can you get?  They also happen to be gluten-free!

My family prefers these brownies, and I am asked to make them all the time.  In fact, I brought some into work and was almost killed.  The reason: people raved about the brownies to others, and the others wanted to try them!  I RAN OUT!  This makes me VERY excited! 

Not to worry!  I will make more for my co-workers.  Plus, I am looking for contests to enter these babies into because they are THAT good!  One square is so deliciously good and chocolatey that the 94 calorie (yes REALLY!) is plenty to quench that sweet-craving.

INTRIGUED?  I thought so!  Here is the recipe, and please DO NOT eat more than two in one setting!


Black Bean Brownies

Serves 20

2-15 oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons vanilla whey protein (about one packet from the store)
3 and 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Layer the ingredients, except chocolate chips, in the exact order listed in a food processor or blender.
  3. Puree until completely smooth. 
  4. Batter WILL BE extremely runny!!!  This is normal!
  5. Grease a 9x13 casserole pan.
  6. Pour batter into baking dish.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes.  Then toss chocolate chips on top.**
  8. Bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until sides pull away from the pan.
  9. Cool, cut and serve!
Keep brownies in the fridge because they are SUPER moist and will go bad quickly at room temperature.  The batter will be a light brown, and the finished brownies will bake to a very dark, deep brown almost black.

**If you put in the chocolate chips while the batter is runny, then they will sink straight down.  In my experience, the chocolate chips will then stick and stay at the bottom of the pan instead of in the delicious brownies!  OH NO!!!  Letting the brownies bake and create structure first ensures that the chocolate chips stay in the brownie lending to the chocolatey flavor!





I am in the process of entering them into some local competitions; maybe I'll make it to the State Fair!  I'm also looking into national contests.  If anyone has some suggestions, let me know!

There you have it!  Some of the most delicious brownies in the world!  Make them!  I SWEAR you will love them!  If you've made them, let me know what you think!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly