Monday, October 1, 2012

Baked Egg in Roasted Tomato Cups

As the summer comes to an end, many plants are giving on last harvest before the cold completely sets in.  Tomatoes are especially pushing hard to finish up, and so we've been picking them green as soon as they get big enough.  (Why no...  I haven't had a chance to fry any yet, but it will be remedied soon!)

{Baked Egg in a Roasted Tomato Cup}

I saw this recipe in Whole Living and knew that I wanted to try it since I've been a bit obsessed with brunch lately.  My birthday fell on a Sunday this year, and I knew exactly what I wanted to do--make brunch complete with mimosas and this recipe!  I used farm fresh eggs (my favorite!) from the Farmer's Market.

{Tomatoes pre-roasting}

{How perfect is this for brunch?}

Baked Egg in Roasted Tomato Cups

Serves 4

4 large tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon thyme
2 cloves garlic
4 eggs
salt and pepper

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Slice the top third off tomatoes and use a spoon to remove the core and seeds.
  3. Arrange tomatoes in individual baking dishes and drizzle with olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
  4. Roast about 30 minutes; tomatoes should be tender and caramelized.  Try not to touch them because they will fall apart!
  5. Crack an egg into each tomato cup and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  6. Bake until desired doneness: 7-9 minutes for over-medium (yolk runny) or 10-12 minutes for over-hard (yolk hard).
What is your favorite brunch recipe? 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly