Thursday, March 13, 2014

Ratatouille

When I say that my family pays in food, I am being very serious.  Circumstances beyond my control have left me without a car so no way to get to yoga on nights the hubby goes to class.  My mother is gracious enough to volunteer to drive me (when she goes), and so I am paying her back by feeding her twice a week.  Pretty good deal if you ask me!

I made Ratatouille the first night she was over, and she loved it!  This recipe makes a large enough quantity that she took some home, and I still had leftovers!

Ratatouille
 {Ratatouille}

Layering vegetables
 {Layering vegetables}

Sprinkle Parmesan or Romano cheese on top
 {Sprinkle Parmesan or Romano cheese on top}

Serve with garlic bread to complete this meatless meal
 {Serve with garlic bread to complete this meatless meal!}

Ratatouille
from food.com

Makes 8 servings

2 large onions, sliced
1 large eggplant, cubed
3-4 zucchini, sliced in semi-circles
6 cloves garlic, cut into large chunks
2 green peppers, de-seeded and cut into strips
2 cans diced tomatoes (or use 2 large fresh tomatoes)
2-6 oz can tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional)
  1. Layer half of vegetables in a large crock-pot in the following order: onion, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, green peppers, tomatoes.
  2. Mix all the spices together in a small bowl.
  3. Sprinkle half of spice mix over vegetables in the crock-pot.
  4. Dot with one can of tomato paste.
  5. Repeat layering process with remaining vegetables, spices and tomato paste.
  6. Drizzle with olive oil.
  7. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  8. Serve sprinkled with cheese. 
This is a great recipe for a Meatless Monday (or any day!).  It's very hearty and healthy!  Do you have any beloved meatless meals that I can try?  I'd love to hear some!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly