Thursday, September 4, 2014

What's in Season | September

One of the new series that I wanted to start doing was a look at what's in season by month.  I know that I am always asking and looking for what's in season in Kentucky so this can help you when you shop at your local farmer's markets!

{Lexington Farmer's Market in Cheapside Park}

This list is not inclusive, and every year is different.  I would talk to farmers to see when these items will be ready if you are looking for specific items.  However, the following produce should be available from Kentucky farmers in September:

Apples
Beans (until mid-September)
Beets
Blackberries
Brussel Sprouts
Cantaloupe (until mid-September)
Sweet Corn
Cucumbers (although I had a hard time finding any because farmers said they dried up in this heat)
Eggplant
Grapes
Greens
Kohlrabi
Lettuce
Okra (until mid-September)
Onions (white)
Pawpaws (if you've never had one--try it!  Pawpaws are native to KY)
Peas
Peppers
Plums (until mid-September)
Potatoes
Pumpkins (will start late September, and I CANNOT WAIT!)
Radishes (late September)
Raspberries
Sorghum
Squash (summer and winter)
Tomatoes
Turnips (late September)
Watermelon

I've already been eating local apples, and let me tell you, The Hubby and I are hooked!  I get a different type every time, and he always says, can you get those green ones again?  (Which green ones?!)  I always grab peppers, onions, and tomatoes.  I haven't seen Brussel sprouts, berries, plums, or pawpaws around the market, but the squashes are definitely coming in! 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly