Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sloppy Joes

The Hubby is pretty awesome when he indulges my crazy recipes.  So every once in a while, I make a recipe that I know he will love or at least one of his past favorites (it helps to balance everything!).  I'd been wanting to share my Sloppy Joe recipe for a while, but I don't make it very often.  Plus, I'd been seeing on Pinterest that it can be done in a crock-pot!  Like I really needed another excuse to make this recipe....

Sloppy Joes
 {Sloppy Joes}

Sloppy Joes
 {Top view, and yes, I served it with steamed broccoli although The Hubby wanted fries!}

One year ago:  Roasted Garlic and Chili Pasta with Shrimp

Sloppy Joes

2 pounds ground beef (local)
1 large onion (local), chopped
2 cloves garlic (local), minced
1-8 oz can tomato sauce
2-6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
12 hamburger buns
  1. Brown ground beef with onions and garlic cloves.
  2. Combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, and browned meat into slow cooker, stirring to combine.
  3. Turn on low and cook 6-8 hours.
  4. Serve on hamburger buns. 
This recipe works very well on the stove too!  Brown the meat, then add remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.

As a personal note--please don't buy those spice mixes from the store!  They are made to last for years (seriously, check the expiration date!), and they can be made just as easily with items you have at home!  If you need taco mix or fajita mix, make them from scratch too!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly