Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas: Cinnamon Roll Bread

I love cinnamon rolls especially on a weekend morning.  As with everything, homemade is so. much. BETTER!  However, cinnamon rolls are a bit of work especially for busy moms and families.

{Cinnamon Roll Bread made with sourdough starter}

When  my husband told me he wasn't a fan of sourdough bread (insert big disappointment here!), I didn't want to kill the sourdough starter that I had worked so hard to cultivate.  So I turned to the internet, and behold! other recipes for sourdough including dumplings, cookies, pancakes, and cake!

So I am slowly working my way through the recipes; this particular recipe, originally called Sourdough Cinnamon Raision Bread, did not work the first time I made it, but it smelled EXACTLY like cinnamon rolls when baking!  I knew that I had to keep trying to get this recipe right!!!  (By the way, a pet peeve of mine is a recipe that doesn't work--just aggravates me!!!)

{I always try to make a tower with the dry ingredients--yes I am strange LOL}

{Adding sourdough starter}

{Mixed and ready to set for about 3 hours or overnight (if you don't have sourdough starter)}

{Dough after it has risen}

{Adding oatmeal, nuts, and raisins}

{Ready to go in the oven}

Cinnamon Roll Bread

Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients

2 cups sourdough starter (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup flour with 1 yeast pacakge)
1 cup sugar in the raw
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup raisins
  1. Mix first seven ingredients together until well combined. Let rise until double or about 3 hours in a warm, draft-free place (if making with a yeast package, allow dough to rise overnight).
  2. Preheat oven to 325.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and pour into a greased loaf pan.
  4. Bake for 80-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
If you don't have sourdough starter, follow the directions out to the side.  I have not personally tried the alternative method (yet!), but that's all sourdough starter really is.  You will also have to let it rise overnight to get a good rise from the yeast.

PS--Great for Christmas morning!  Just make sure to remember to make it the night before!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Just found your blog, and we would love to extend an invitation to join our monthly baking group called Sourdough Surprises! Each month we find a new and fun way to use our sourdough starters! Come check us out! www.sourdoughsurprises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly