Friday, December 7, 2012

Homemade Biscuits

Breakfast for dinner is a standard in my house.  In fact, I don't think I have ever made breakfast (sausage gravy, biscuits, bacon, pancakes, waffles, etc) before noon!  My husband's favorite meal is breakfast for dinner, and we indulge about once a  month--even eating it in bed!  (You don't HAVE to have breakfast in bed in the morning....  It's fun!)

{Homemade drop biscuits!}

It's just two of us so to buy a can o'biscuits is a big waste.  We used to buy the frozen Pillsbury Southern Style biscuits.  However, as with much of our food consumption, I have been trying to come up with a biscuit recipe that I can make at home when we needed it because frankly, we needed the room in our freezer!  I did the box biscuit mix thing for a while, but they just didn't live up to Pillsbury standard. 

Anyway--long story short, I created a recipe!  I NEVER tempt fate and create a baked recipe because so much can go wrong, but thankfully, they ended up delicious on the first try!!!  (Kudos to my culinary education--please don't try it at home unless you know what you are doing!!!)  Ben even said they were better than Pillsbury (which is a pretty tall order).  The best part--it's super easy!

{Dough after mixing it up}

Homemade Biscuits

Makes 6 giant biscuits

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients and whisk until completely combined.
  3. Add milk and butter and stir until dough forms.
  4. Knead dough about 6 times just to get everything nice and mix up.
  5. Drop biscuits onto a greased baking sheet.
  6. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Bonus--Just mix up the dry ingredients for a 'biscuit mix' substitute!  I have used it in this Apple-Cranberry Bar recipe with excellent results!

You can add different flavorings for a twist like ham and cheddar or gouda and onion or garlic and parmesan....  The possibilities are endless!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly