Thursday, February 28, 2013

Braised Chicken with Parsnips

My deepest apologies for the sporadic and lack of posting over the last 3 weeks--work has been so crazy busy doing 2 jobs that the lunch break I take to post was spent doing work, and I stayed late most days so my brain was fried by the time I got home.  I typically write out a post a week or so in advance so it only take 5 minutes to post, but well....  Excuses, excuses, excuses....  It's better now so I am resuming!  Thanks so much for your patience!  <3

So after the success of the roasted parsnips with onions when I saw this braised chicken with parsnips recipe from Whole Living magazine, I really wanted to try them.

{Delicious!}

Parsnips are a close family member to carrots, and they have several nutritional benefits like 3 grams of fiber and only 55 calories. They are a good source of vitamin C (17% of RDA), folate (11%), and manganese (11%) in 1/2 cup (source).  They are a winter crop with a sweet but slightly nutty flavor (source).

{Parsnips look like albino carrots but have a delicate flavor}

{My grocery was out of leeks so I used onion instead}

{Searing chicken}

{Adding cider vinegar and dreid sage to the pot}

{Adding remaining ingredients}

{Lovely bed of rice}


Braised Chicken with Parsnips

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
1 medium onion (or 2 leeks), sliced in semi-circles
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 pound parsnips (or potatoes), peeled and diced
1 pint mushrooms, cleaned and diced
2 tablespoons dried sage (or 10 leaves fresh)
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups brown rice, cooked
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Heat oil in a large, oven-proof pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
  3. Sear chicken on all sides until golden brown on all sides.
  4. Add apple cider vinegar, parsnips, mushrooms, sage, and broth to the pot.
  5. Cover pot and place in oven until parsnips are done, about 1 hour.
  6. Separate rice into 4 bowls, and serve braised chicken on top.
I love one pot meals (yes I think this qualifies although rice is cooked separate) because they are so easy and the clean up is minimal.  What new ingredients have you tried lately?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly