Monday, April 15, 2013

Beet Salad

I know what you are thinking--man this woman is weird eating beets!  Well--I am, and I'm not ashamed!!!  I LOVE beets in this salad.  I eat it every week either at work (where I got the recipe for this from the woman who makes the salads) or at my grandparents' house when I visit them.  My husband tried this salad the other day, and he loves this salad too although he was pretty skeptical about eating beets. 

{Beet and onion salad!}

Beets are really good for your liver (mainly why I eat them because I have to take daily meds).  Be careful though--that purple juice of theirs can stain VERY easily!

{Only five ingredients!}

{Drained beets and onions}

{Add flavored juice back to beets and let sit overnight}

Pickled Beet and Onion Salad

Serves 4

2 cans sliced beets, drained with juice kept in a microwavable container
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons white vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
  1. Mix onions and beets in a bowl; make sure the bowl cannot be stained from the juice (so avoid plastic).
  2. Heat beet juice and remaining ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
  3. Add flavored juice back to beets and onions.
  4. Refrigerate overnight.
These are sweet and tangy--so delicious!  Plus, this is pretty cheap--a can of beets costs less than $1 AND healthy for you!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly