Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chicken Vindaloo

A few years ago, to expand both mine and my husband's culinary appetite, I bought a package mix of vindaloo.  We loved it sooooo much!!!  Then I discovered all the crap (and it really is crap) that goes into pre-made mixes like that, and I was sad because I knew I would never eat it again unless I made it.  Fast forward a few years, and in my crockpot recipe search, I found a chicken vindaloo recipe to make in the crockpot from scratch!  I about cried!!!  And guess what???  It is fantastic!!!  (with a few alterations to make it easier)

{Yes I know what it looks like, but I PROMISE it tastes better than it looks!}

{Chicken and onions together ready for marination}

{Marinade--be careful because tumeric stains!}

{Marinating chicken the night before}

{Dump in a crockpot and cook!  The chicken FELL off the bone--so delicious!}

Chicken Vindaloo

Serves 4

1.5 pounds chicken thighs (bone-in) or breasts, skinless
2 large onions, sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
7 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (can add more if you like it really spicy)
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
3/4 cup brown rice
2 cups chicken broth
  1. Mix chicken and onions together.
  2. Mix remaining ingredients, except rice and chicken broth, together in a bowl until well combined.
  3. Pour marinade over chicken and allow to sit overnight.
  4. Place chicken and onion mixture along with rice and chicken broth in a crockpot.
  5. Cook on warm/low for 6-8 hours.
  6. Serve with steamed vegetables.
This dish was even good cold--I would know since I ate it for lunch the next day and was unable to heat it up.  Warning--this website also has a recipe for tikka masala in a crockpot which is my FAVORITE Indian dish ever!  I'll be making it shortly!

Do you have a favorite recipe you would like converted for a crockpot?  Let me know, and I will help!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly