Friday, April 12, 2013

Lentil and Chickpea Salad

Sorry for my absence the last few days.  I've had a nasty respiratory infection that literally came out of no where and knocked me out for two days.  I'm feeling better, but talking and breathing are still a bit difficult.  So instead of going on a wonderful mini-vacation with my husband like we were going to do this weekend, we will be spending quality time on the couch with him as my nursemaid.  ;o)  As an irony to this situation, my hubby and I saw the episode of The Big Bang Theory (which we both LOVE) where Sheldon takes care of Amy while she has the flu--HILARIOUS!!!  I ended up having at least five coughing/laughing fits.  If you haven't seen it, please go watch it now!!!

Anyway, I saw the recipe for this salad from the smitten kitchen and knew I had to make it!  Not only did I have almost everything--minus the sage and feta cheese--at home, but the salad sounded DELICIOUS!!!  Plus so very healthy...  I almost asked for the day off to make it.  Thankfully, I restrained myself and waited to share this with my family at a barbeque we had last weekend.  It was a crowd pleaser!

{Good-for-you grains, spices, and oils make this a healthy and nutritous salad!}

{Cooking the lentils}

{Mixing the remaining ingredients together}

{Cooked lentils}

{Toasting sesame seeds}

Lentil and Chickpea Salad

Serves 4

1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
2 cups broth
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sesame seed oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons broth
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/2 medium (or 1 whole small) red onion, sliced
1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
  1. Mix lentils, garlic, sage, 2 cups broth, and 2 tablespoons olive oil together in a saucepan and turn to medium high heat; once the lentils start to simmer, turn the heat down to medium low and gently cook lentils until just tender about 25-35 minutes adding more broth if needed.
  2. Meanwhile mix remaining ingredients except cheese in a bowl.
  3. Cool lentils for about 10 minutes and then mix with the remaining salad.
  4. Chill the salad for about 4 hours up to overnight before serving.
  5. Sprinkle cheese in salad immediately before serving.
I drastically streamlined this recipe.  No offense, but I don't have time to toast all the spices and then grind them into a paste with a mortar and pestle (not that I have the equipment anyway).  I love this cook to death because I have not had a bad recipe from her, but she likes to get a little detailed and silly sometimes. 

After making this in about 30 minutes (I got everything else together while the lentils were cooking), I am thinking about making a few salads once a week like this to eat on throughout the week as a side for crockpot meals.  Hmmmmm....  I'm off to look for some recipes (between naps and over the next few days)!  Unless you have one you want to share!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly