Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sausage Gravy

This is a family recipe from my great-grandpa, Bob (my grandmother's father).  I had never really liked gravy until I had this recipe; personally, I thought they all tasted like paste.  I'm glad I gave this a try though!  And the hubby--he can't get enough of this!  I still added my own twist, but it's still in the family! 

{The dinner of champions!  Er...  I mean breakfast!  Either way--delicious!}

{I used homemade sausage for this particular recipe, but if I get it from the store, we like a hot sausage.  Just use whatever you prefer}

{Yes sausage is fatty.  Without that fat, you won't make a good gravy!  You should end up with 3 tablespoons approximately}

{Add butter and flour to make a roux}

{The flour should soak up ALL the fat--if it doesn't add more flour until it does}

{Add milk and heat until thickened}

{Serve with homemade biscuits!}


Sausage Gravy

Makes 4-6 servings

1 pound pork sausage (should yield about 3 tablespoons fat)
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon chicken seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
  1. Brown sausage in a pan until cooked through.
  2. Add butter and stir until melted.
  3. Add flour and stir to combine.  All the fat should be absorbed by the flour; if it's not add more flour until it is.
  4. Cook floury meat mixture for 1 minute.
  5. Add milk and stir to combine.
  6. Heat sauce until thickened.  Sauce will get thicker the longer you cook it.  If it gets too thick, add some milk to thin it out.
  7. Add spices along with salt until it tastes delicious!
  8. Serve over homemade biscuits.
Do you have family recipes that you have tweaked either to make it easier or add flavor?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly