Thursday, May 8, 2014

Nutella Cupcakes

I volunteered to make the wedding cupcakes for my brother's wedding last weekend.  He wanted Nutella Cupcakes, and so I used trusty Google to get some ideas, when I stumbled across Cannella Vita's version of the cupcakes.  They were so beautiful, I knew that I had to make them!

My family has an obsession with Nutella.  My brother and I have had it our entire lives, and we are only just now getting into Nutella-based desserts.  I blame it on my mom; she's not a baker.  That's okay because I am!  (Still love you mom!)

Nutella Cupcakes
 {Nutella Cupcakes}

Nutella
 {You use two (2)--yes really 2--full jars of Nutella!}

Cupcake HolesNutella Cupcakes
 {Use a melon baller or spoon, scoop out some of the cupcake center to make cupcake holes you can snack on while making these cupcakes!}

how to fill a piping bag
{Real world solution to only having two hands}

Nutella CupcakesNutella Cupcakes
 {Nutella-filled cupcakes (left) topped with Nutella Buttercream Frosting (right)}

Nutella CupcakesNutella Cupcakes
 {Drizzle with melted chocolate (left) and then top with a star of vanilla buttercream to keep the candy on top (right)}

Nutella CupcakesNutella Cupcakes
 {Completed cupcakes and chocolate paper (left)!}

Note--I am not the best at frosting and decorating cakes so I was very nervous about what I got myself into, but it was much easier than I thought!  See the tutorial here!  I'm itching to make and frost more cupcakes LOL

Tower of Nutella Cupcakes
{Tower of Nutella Cupcakes at the wedding}

Nutella Cupcakes
adapted from Cannella Vita

Makes 24 cupcakes

A double batch of chocolate cupcakes baked with yogurt
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
12 oz powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
pinch of salt
6-8 tablespoons heavy cream
2-13 oz jar Nutella
4 oz bar semi-sweet baking chocolate
12 Ferrero Rocher candies, cut in half
  1. Bake cupcakes and allow to cool overnight before assembling.
  2. Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out a small section from the top of the cupcakes.  Set aside for another use or as a snack.
  3. Fill a piping bag with one whole jar of Nutella (yes seriously).
  4. Fill the small sections of cupcakes with Nutella (about 1 teaspoon each cupcake).
  5. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  6. Add powdered sugar in about 6 batches, making sure to whip frosting until smooth each time!  If it looks lumpy, I promise it will smooth out!
  7. Add salt, vanilla, and about 3 tablespoons of heavy cream; beat carefully.
  8. If you need to add more cream to get the desired consistency, please do so.  I wanted a firmer frosting so I used about 6 tablespoons.
  9. Once you have the consistency, beat the frosting on high for another 5 minutes, or until smooth.
  10. Set aside 1/3 of frosting; this will be vanilla buttercream.
  11. Add the second jar (yes--the entire jar) to the remaining frosting and beat on high until combined, about 3 minutes.
  12. Prepare a piping bag with a large round tip for the Nutella buttercream frosting.
  13. Place cupcakes on wax paper, parchment paper, or cookie sheets (something easy to clean up!).
  14. Carefully create the frosting base by piping in the center and spiraling outwards (tutorial coming next week!).
  15. Melt baking chocolate in a microwave until smooth. 
  16. Using a spoon, drizzle each frosted cupcake with chocolate.
  17. Perpare a piping bag with a large star tip for the vanilla buttercream frosting.
  18. Pipe a star over the melted chocolate.
  19. Top each star with a halved candy.
  20. Serve!
They are a bit of work, but everyone fawned over how delicious and beautiful they were!  Music to my ears!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly