Monday, May 6, 2013

Crockpot Butter Chicken

Many of the recipes that I made last week didn't really WOW me or my husband.  So I had to scramble a bit to get something posted for this week!  The one recipe that was so fantastic was Butter Chicken which is an Indian dish. 

The original recipe called for cayenne with the note that adding it would make it REALLY spicy, but guess who didn't read that part and added it?  Yup me.  My mom, husband, and I had runny noses and crying eyes the entire time we ate it.  That's why I didn't include it in this recipe--it would be plenty spicy without it!

My mommy says I'm special, and now I know why....

{Butter Chicken}

{Getting ready to sear the chicken}

{Mixing the spices, coconut milk, yogurt, and tomato paste together.  Don't worry of you can't break up the tomato paste completely.}

{Searing the last bit of chicken and adding the onions and garlic}

{Place chicken in the spicy yogurt marinade}

{Top the marinade with the oil, garlic, and onions}

{The next morning put it all in a crockpot, turn it to low and walk away!}

{Finished Butter Chicken}

{Bed of rice and vegetables}

Crockpot Butter Chicken

Serves 4

2 pounds chicken thighs, skinless and bone-in
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon curry paste (found in Asian groceries or larger grocery chains)
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 can coconut milk
1 cup plain yogurt
6 oz tomato paste
  1. In a large frying pan, heat butter and oil until hot.
  2. Add chicken and sear until caramelized on one side.
  3. Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients, except onions and garlic, together in a glass dish.
  4. Place chicken in the marinade.
  5. Add onion and garlic to pot when chicken is finished; cook until caramelized.
  6. When onions and garlic are done, place them on top of the chicken marinade.
  7. Marinate chicken mixture overnight.
  8. Place chicken and marinade into the crockpot for 6-8 hours on low.
  9. Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
I love meals like this because I barely used any salt.  The spices did all of the work!  We had so much left over (even after mom ate with us) that I took it to work the next day, and everyone at work love it too!  In fact, I have to print out this recipe for several people  :oD  That makes me sooo very happy!

PS--I just realized that I didn't do a Spice It UP!!! posting for the end of April!!!  I'm getting on that right now!  Sorry!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly