Thursday, December 5, 2013

Jambalaya

Growing up, my brother and I HATED jambalaya and gumbo!  In fact, our mother would threaten to make it when we were being picky about the food she had made.  However, being the adult that I am now, I have tried those dishes on several occasions, and I must admit that I like them now!  So when I saw a recipe for jambalaya in the crock-pot, I had to make it.  It was a bit spicy for me, but my co-workers who tried it said it was excellent (thanks ladies!).  This recipe makes a large amount which is good for leftovers!

{Jambalaya}

{Put everything in a crock-pot}

{Cooked jambalaya}

{Then add the shrimp}

One year ago:  Homemade Biscuits

Jambalaya (Crock-pot)
adapted from Mother Earth Living

Makes 8 servings

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
4 peppers, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 bay leaves
3/4 teaspoons paprika (less if you don't like spicy)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon hot sauce (less if you don't like spicy)
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into chunks
1 pound shrimp, cooked
2-3 cups cooked rice
  1. Place everything but the shrimp and rice in a crock-pot.
  2. Cook on low for 7 hours.
  3. One hour before serving, toss in the shrimp and allow to heat through for about 1 hour.
  4. Serve over rice. 
Did you try a meal/food item again in your adulthood after you didn't like it in your childhood?  Did you change your mind like I did?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly