Monday, August 12, 2013

Granola

So after helping my mother with her food hoarding clean-out, I found a TON of oatmeal.  The woman hardly eats oatmeal, especially in the summer.  I confiscated it, along with other random food--four reusable bags to be exact.  (I didn't have to do much grocery shopping for two weeks!  Not that I am complaining, but geez mom!)  I threw together this granola recipe after researching it a bit online, and let me tell you--DELICIOUS!!!  I paid my mom in granola because that's how my family works.  Now I have to supply her--it's a double edge sword, my friends, being a good cook ;o)  (Just kidding mom--I love sharing food with you!)



granola
{Granola clusters}


{Definitely spread foil or parchment paper under the granola because it is a pain to get off otherwise}

granola

{Store in an airtight container}

Granola

Makes 2 quarts without add-ins (3 quarts with add-ins)

4 cups oats
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup (local)
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
Add-ins**
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Line two baking sheets with foil.
  3. In a large bowl, mix oats, flax, nuts, and coconut until well combined.
  4. In a sauce pan, mix remaining ingredients together until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
  5. Pour liquid over oat mixture and stir until combined.  Oats will be slightly moistened but should not be completely saturated.
  6. Spread oat mixture onto baking sheets in a thin layer.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until oats are dried and browned.
  8. Cool then transfer to an airtight container.
**Add in 1/2 cup ground flax seeds, 1/2 cup nuts (chopped and whichever you prefer), or 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut to the granola before you bake it.  You can also add dried fruit or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to this granola, about 1 cup will work, and I would add it to the container you store it in and shake it around to mix in.

I've made this recipe three times in the last month, and let me tell you, it's not lasted more than a week (especially between my mom and husband).  I like it for breakfast with fruit and yogurt like below.

granola
{Healthy breakfast}

I have also been known to eat this like candy by the handfuls....

Do you like granola?  How do you prefer to eat it?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly