Thursday, August 15, 2013

Homemade Chips and Salsa

In going with the eating-homegrown-produce theme, I decided to make some salsa because what else was I going to do with 2 gallons of tomatoes?  A few simple and fresh ingredients yielded a salsa that was out of this world delicious!

{Homemade chips and salsa!}

{I used red and yellow tomatoes because they were pretty!}

{Adding the cilantro, garlic and green onion}

{Adding the spices}

{I made chips because, being only two people, we NEVER go through an entire pack of tortillas.  So I made chips, and they were yummy!}

{I cut mine into strips}

{Okay--so maybe I didn't technically measure the salt, I just went with it}

{Ready for the oven}

{Chips and salsa!}

Salsa

Makes 2 cups
3 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cup green onions, diced
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 3/4 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
  1. Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
  2. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
  3. Serve with chips.
Homemade Tortilla Chips

1 package soft tortillas (whichever size)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt (ish--I didn't really measure so if you sprinkle and don't use it all, don't panic)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Using a pizza cutter, cut tortillas into wedges or strips.
  3. Place tortillas pieces on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges turn golden-brown and tortillas dry out.
  5. Serve with salsa.
What are you planning on doing with your home-grown or farmer's market produce?  I'd love to hear!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly