Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Buttermilk Roast Chicken

Source

Ben told me he loved buttermilk--anything buttermilk made or just drinking it straight (slight cringe on my part).  So when I stumbled across this recipe for Buttermilk Roast Chicken, I knew I had to make it for him.  Little did I know that I would love this recipe too!  The buttermilk makes the chicken very tender and flavorful.



No worries if you don't have buttermilk (or don't want to buy it). I simply do this: mix 1 cup of milk with 2 teaspoon vinegar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. The milk should smell sour and be thick. Easy!

Buttermilk Roast Chicken

Serves 4

2 cups buttermilk
5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken thighs
Drizzle of olive oil
Flaked or coarse sea salt, to finish
  1. Whisk buttermilk with garlic, table salt, sugar, paprika and lots of freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
  2. Place chicken parts in a gallon-sized freezer bag (or lidded container) and pour buttermilk brine over them, then swish it around so that all parts are covered.
  3. Refrigerate for at least 2 but preferably 24 and up to 48 hours.
  4. When ready to roast, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  5. Line a baking dish with foil.
  6. Remove chicken from buttermilk brine and arrange in dish.
  7. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with additional paprika and sea salt to taste.
  8. Roast for 40 minutes, until brown and a bit scorched in spots.
  9. Serve immediately.
I've served this with quinoa pilaf and steamed green beans and another time with stuffing and steamed broccoli; both times it was delicious!

I happen to have a weakness for marination and slow cooking mainly because you throw it together and let it do it's own thing (which=easy!). I've even had to change plans so the chicken sat in the marinade for 2 days instead of one--still delicious!

So how about you?  Do you like buttermilk?

PS--when I made the recipe to take pictures, Ben proceeded to eat ALL of the chicken before I could get a picture.  Hence the more aesthetically beautiful picture!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly