Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving: Sweet Potato Casserole

To wrap up our Thanksgiving series, I wanted to share my beloved sweet potato casserole recipe.  It's light and fluffy sweet potatoes baked with a nutty-sugar-butter topping (see--told you I have a slight obsession with those ingredients as toppings!!!).  My family requests it from me every year, and I am more than happy to oblige!

{So I *might* have made myself a small container--I HAD to take a picture for the blog! LOL}

This recipe is definitely easy--the hardest part is peeling and dicing the potatoes!  I do not have a full casserole completed photo because this will actually be consumed at my families' (BOTH will be together again this year!  YAY!!!!!  LOVE IT!) Thanksgiving on Thursday night.  So I had to make a small bowl to show the finished product.

{Mhmmm sweet potatoes!}

{Is it me or are these MASSIVE?!  SCARY!!!}

{Making the topping}

{Finished topping!}

{Mashed the sweet potatoes and added all the ingredients--it will not fit in my professional stand mixer so please don't try!}

{Put casserole in a container, put topping on top, and bake}

Sweet Potato Casserole

Makes 18 servings

Ingredients

10 pounds sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar in the raw (can use regular)
4 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup milk, room temperature
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  1. Cook sweet potatoes until tender using whatever means you prefer: microwave, boiling, or baking. Cool.
  2. Preheat oven to 350.
  3. Put sweet potatoes in a bowl and add sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and butter until smooth(ish).
  4. Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish.
  5. Combine brown sugar, pecans, flour, and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over sweet potato mixture.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes.
Thanksgiving bonus:  Definitely make this casserole a few days before and store in the fridge.  On the day of your Thanksgiving feast, make topping and bake an extra 10-15 minutes if you put it in the oven straight from the fridge.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly