Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting

My mom's birthday was in February.  I saw this recipe in the smitten kitchen cookbook, in January, called my mom, and told her she had no choice--I was making these for her birthday.  (Yes I am that mean and horrible of a daughter).  Needless to say, these are unbelievably delicious--espeically since not all of the wine bakes out!  As Deb says--your welcome!



{So delicious and rich--one cupcake and that was it!}

{Hers looked more red--not sure if it was the lighting or the wine that I used (she did say it didn't matter)}

{Mixing the batter}

{Almost 2/3 of a bottle of wine--yes seriously!  I know I measured too much here, but don't worry because I just poured it into the wine glass that was not pictured here :o) }

{Adding the wine--be careful it will stain!}

{Red wine is incorporated}

{After adding the dry ingredients}

{I decided to make cupcakes because (confession!) I really am not talented when it comes to icing/frosting/decorating so cupcakes were easiest!}

{They smelled like red wine and chocolate--oh my!}

{A deliciously light and sweet Italian soft cheese--mascarpone}

{After mixing with sugar and vanilla}

{Store in a ziploc bag and cut off the tip for an easy way to ice cupcakes}

Before you chew my arm off--here's the recipe!

Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting

Makes 30 cupcakes

Ingredients

Cupcakes
2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups red wine of your choice
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups Dutch cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting
16 oz mascarpone cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  3. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy about 4 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, measure out dry ingredients into a separate bowl.
  5. Add eggs and beat well.
  6. Add red wine and vanilla; be careful to turn the mixture to slow or else you'll have a mess!
  7. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  8. Spoon batter into cupcake liners until 1/4 inch from the top.
  9. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  10. Cool.
  11. To make frosting:  Beat ingredients together until mixture is light anf fluffy about 2 minutes.
  12. Simply put frosting on cupcake and enjoy!
I know you want to make them so just go!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly