Friday, July 12, 2013

Aloo Palak (Indian Potatoes and Spinach)

As some co-workers and I were discussing international cuisine, one person asked me if I had heard of the Indian Potato and Spinach dish.  I said no so we went looking on the internet and found this recipe.  The hubby loves potatoes (not spinach though) so I thought I'd give it a try.  I LOVED this dish; the hubby said it was pretty good (turmeric is not his spice).  This recipe is originally vegetarian, but I added pork so hubby would eat it.  Country boys and their need for meat with every meal *sigh*

{Serve with sour cream to tame some of the spicy-ness}

{Sauting onions, garlic, and spices together}

{Cook for about 3 minutes or until fragrant}

{Add broth to get every last bit of spice-goodness!}

{Mix with potatoes and spinach in the crockpot}

{OPTIONAL:  Add 1 pound of pork}

{Done and ready to eat!}

Aloo Palak (Indian Potatoes and Spinach)

Makes 4 servings

5 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili flakes (use less if you don't like it spicy)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Dash of salt
12 oz frozen spinach
4 medium red potatoes, cubed
2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 pound pork, cubed (optional)
  1. Melt butter in a large pan on medium-high heat.
  2. Add onions and garlic; cook until translucent.
  3. Add spices and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
  4. Add broth to spice mixture.
  5. Mix spice mixture, potatoes and spinach (with optional pork) in a crockpot.
  6. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  7. Serve with sour cream if desired.
How often do you try something that you don't like?  I have been told that your tastes change every 5 years (approximately) so I try foods that I don't like every so often.  Some foods are a texture issue for me--like tapioca and raw mushrooms--GROSS!  My hubby's philosophy is a good one: try a food several different ways before saying "I don't like it".  How awesome is that?  I love that outlook especially since I cook "weird" food most of the time, and he eats it.  However, he's not scared to tell me he doesn't like it  LOL Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly