Monday, July 29, 2013

Posole Verde

When I saw this recipe, it piqued my interest.  I've never been a big fan of Mexican or Mexican-themed foods, but it's slowly growing on me.  I had a feeling that I needed to make it (despite not liking radishes), and so I did.  Not only did I absolutely love it, the hubby did too!  It was a bit strange with the addition of radishes, but they really added another flavor to this dish.

{Posole Verde}

{Getting everything chopped and ready to go!}

{I didn't get a picture of me browning the pork, but here is the onions, garlic and cumin!}

{Adding cooked pork to the sauce mix}

{Place in crockpot and cook}

{Add hominy in the last hour}

{Before adding the radishes, sour cream and cilantro}

Posole Verde
adapted from Betty Crocker

Makes 4 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound pork loin, cubed
2 large onions, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 cup chicken broth
16 oz salsa verde
2-5 oz cans green chilis (I found in the Mexican section at Kroger)
1 can white hominy, drained and rinsed
Sour cream, radishes, jalapenos, and cilantro for garnish
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet until hot.
  2. Add pork and brown on one side.
  3. Remove pork and place in a bowl.
  4. Add onions, garlic and cumin to the hot pan and cook until browned on the edges; add to pork in bowl.
  5. Add the chicken broth, salsa verde and chilis to the bowl and mix well.
  6. Marinate overnight.
  7. The next day, place pork mixture in a crock-pot for 6-8 hours on low.
  8. One hour before service, add hominy and turn to high.
  9. Serve posole verde with sour cream, radishes, jalapenos (I choose to forgo the jalapenos because it was plenty hot for me!) and cilantro.
Have you ever tried a dish that you weren't too sure about?  Did you end up liking it?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly